Marks & Spencer VAT win

Marks & Spencer VAT win

February 12th 2009 6:46 pm

general

Marks and Spencer (M&S) won a landmark victory last year in the European Court of Justice (ECJ). The case concerned wheth ...

471 views

Marks and Spencer (M&S) won a landmark victory last year in the European Court of Justice (ECJ). The case concerned whether or not HMRC were correct to limit the amount of VAT they repaid to the company after their chocolate teacakes were reclassified as a cake rather than a chocolate biscuit.  The issue of cakes and chocolate biscuits is an important one as cakes are zero rated rather than standard rated.  The case dates back many years. HMRC only repaid M&S 10% of the output tax it had overpaid on sales of chocolate teacakes on the grounds that the other 90% had been suffered by the customer and so M&S would be ‘unduly enriched’ if it was all repaid.  The ECJ ruled in favour of M&S and the case was referred back to the House of Lords. The House of Lords has now confirmed that HMRC will not contest this issue further and that M&S are due their refund. This opens the way for other claims of this nature. If you think that this case may have implications for your business, please do get in touch with us. Source: Parliamentary judgment Times online article

be smart. find an accountant online now. it's easy!

what type of accounting work do you need help with? choose below.

Disclaimer

We are a lead generation facility for accountants located across the UK. We provide our visitors with the ability to search for accountants directly or provide details of the work they require and seek out accountants looking for clients with similar circumstances. Users of this website are assured that their personal details are not distributed to more than one accountant and that accountant is then allowed to contact the user to discuss the service the accountant can provide. All data transmission on this website and administration facility is carried out under full 256-bit SSL encryption.

Data Protection Registration Number ZA200013

Please read our full disclaimer.