Receiving rent from residential property?

Receiving rent from residential property?

October 29th 2009 10:44 pm


If you make a net rental loss from the residential letting then it is up to you to notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).  ...


If you make a net rental loss from the residential letting then it is up to you to notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).  However, should you wish to use the rental losses against any future profits then you are advised to inform HMRC so that they have a record of this. Should you have made rental profits then contact HMRC office for advice. Typically, for an employed person or a person getting pension through PAYE  a Tax Return would not be required if the rental profits are less than £2,500. Instead, the tax on this would be collected through your PAYE tax code. Regardless of your employment/pension status,  for profits of over £2,500  you would need to notify HM Revenue and Customs that you have rental income and complete details of this on a tax return. If you are unsure, you can always come to TaxPenny to complete your rental pages of your Tax Return and be assured that we will maximize all allowable expenses to reduce your tax.

what's trending

2010/2011 Tax Calculator

2010/2011 Tax Calculator

November 11th 2009

PAYE Tax Codes for 2011-2012
Tax Freedom Day 2013

be smart. find an accountant online now. it's easy!

what type of accounting work do you need help with? choose below.


We are a lead generation facility for accountants located across the UK. We provide our visitors with the ability to search for accountants directly or provide details of the work they require and seek out accountants looking for clients with similar circumstances. Users of this website are assured that their personal details are not distributed to more than one accountant and that accountant is then allowed to contact the user to discuss the service the accountant can provide. All data transmission on this website and administration facility is carried out under full 256-bit SSL encryption.

Data Protection Registration Number ZA200013

Please read our full disclaimer.